Galaxy GUI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Universe of Customization

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Galaxy GUI v2 Coming Soon - Stay Tuned for Details

3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
chris3d

chris3d

3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th Vide
PostSubject: 3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th   3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th Icon_minitime1June 9th 2008, 3:01 pm

That's it folks, WWDC's major conference is over and Steve Jobs has announced the 3G iPhone.
Here it is peeps

3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th Screen-capture
2.8x faster, Built in GPS, native app support, and a helluva lot cheaper
8GB models will be going for $199 USD and the 16GB model for $299 USD.

Apple is expecting to have the iPhone shipping in 70 countries over the next few months, currently including the following:
most of South America... Norway, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, Poland, Czech, Switzerland, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Malta, Croatia, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Greece, Turkey, Jordan, Egypt, Niger, Mali, Senegal, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Kenya, Botswana, South Africa

As mentioned in the previous keynote, the 2.0 firmware update will add many new enterprise features such as exchange, but they have now added a new factor, their all new Mobile Me service. Good job to macrumors for spotting Apple's purchase of me.com earlier last week. This is gonna be like activesync on steroids...

iPhone apps...where to begin. The 2.0 firmware update, free to all existing iPhone owners will cost $9.95 on the iPod touch. Apple has announced a couple apps today that will be free upon the 2.0 firmware release, TypePad, and Loopt. Along with that they showed off Super Monkey Ball, which has been drastically improved upon from it's original showing @ MacWorld.

One feature that I am looking forward to testing out is the notification pushing. Instead of allowing applications to run in the background (looks @ current windows mobile phone sad ....) "Apple will maintain a persistent IP connection to the phone, where a 3rd party server can ping Apple's notification service to your device. It can push badges, sounds, and custom textual alerts"

I can't wait to get my hands on one of these!

Last edited by chris3d on June 10th 2008, 11:59 pm; edited 6 times in total
B1G_

B1G_

Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

PostSubject: Re: 3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th   3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th Icon_minitime1June 9th 2008, 4:38 pm

I think I'll be selling my Touch and getting one of these, no matter how much I despise phones.
chris3d

chris3d

PostSubject: Re: 3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th   3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th Icon_minitime1June 9th 2008, 5:40 pm

My bday is conveniently a few months around the corner from the release day. I think I'll wait till then to make sure any and all bugs are out of the system before I get one.
Lbroskee

Lbroskee

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostSubject: Re: 3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th   3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th Icon_minitime1June 9th 2008, 5:54 pm

my friend is getting this for his b-day if he sells his old one for 100 bux, i h8 spoiled ppl so much. lol
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: 3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th   3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th Icon_minitime1June 9th 2008, 6:25 pm

wow, awesome happy
chekkz

chekkz

Kid Sister
Kid Sister

PostSubject: Re: 3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th   3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th Icon_minitime1June 9th 2008, 7:04 pm

omg.. thats so awesome!! i can't wait... this summer is gonna be so great.. apple just continues to make my life better happy

oh wait! how about service providers? still just AT&T huh.. sad
alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

PostSubject: Re: 3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th   3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th Icon_minitime1June 9th 2008, 7:28 pm

JESUS CHRIST... its so cheap!! now i want one xD
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: 3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th   3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th Icon_minitime1June 9th 2008, 7:30 pm

alxmarcond wrote:
JESUS CHRIST... its so cheap!! now i want one xD

The phone itself is cheaper, but you will now be paying $50~ for service each month (450 minutes? maybe less ($20) + unlimited data ($30)) minumum
alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

PostSubject: Re: 3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th   3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th Icon_minitime1June 9th 2008, 7:40 pm

hahahahaha wow nvm... this means that the iPod Touch is going to be WAY cheaper btw
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: 3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th   3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th Icon_minitime1June 9th 2008, 7:50 pm

alxmarcond wrote:
hahahahaha wow nvm... this means that the iPod Touch is going to be WAY cheaper btw

nevermind, it will be $70 a month MINIMUM for the iPhone
chris3d

chris3d

PostSubject: Re: 3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th   3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th Icon_minitime1June 9th 2008, 7:50 pm

^^with unlimited data, yes

I will be getting a 16GB version in late September, still deciding between the black or white model

Last edited by chris3d on June 9th 2008, 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: 3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th   3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th Icon_minitime1June 9th 2008, 7:51 pm

chris3d wrote:
with unlimited data, yes

Actually in the US, you HAVE to buy it with unlimited data. Theres a * next to the price of the voice plan
chris3d

chris3d

PostSubject: Re: 3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th   3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th Icon_minitime1June 9th 2008, 7:54 pm

that's all good with me - if it comes with 3G capability, I'm gonna use it

Actually, I'm pretty sure that you can get other phones without the data. Not too sure about the iPhone though. Verizon tried to push me into a data plan, but I finally got them to give me a "pay as you go" plan after much explaining that it can have it's consequences...I've yet to be charged for data....

Anyways, an iPhone without a form of a data plan would most certainly feel crippled.
chris3d

chris3d

PostSubject: Re: 3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th   3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th Icon_minitime1June 9th 2008, 8:05 pm

alxmarcond wrote:

I wouldn't expect the iPod touch to get any cheaper. The iPhone has no bearing on the iPod line, besides the fact that the iPod touch runs an almost identical cut down version of the iPhone's firmware. The iPhone may be cheaper, but you've got to remember that there is still the iPod classic which goes for $249 minimum. They aren't going to start cutting iPod prices due to competitive iPhone pricing. If the iPod touch gets a remodel based on the 3G iPhone, however, that may change things a bit.
alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

PostSubject: Re: 3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th   3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th Icon_minitime1June 9th 2008, 8:31 pm

then ill just buy an iPhone with no plan :O
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: 3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th   3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th Icon_minitime1June 9th 2008, 9:01 pm

alxmarcond wrote:
then ill just buy an iPhone with no plan :O

are you guys reading? you CANT i repeat, you CANNOT buy an iPhone (LEGALLY) without a data plan. With ATT YOU MUST purchase the UNLIMITED data plan when buying an iPhone!
Lbroskee

Lbroskee

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostSubject: Re: 3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th   3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th Icon_minitime1June 9th 2008, 9:24 pm

so um u go 2 the apple store, b/c the 8 GB is now 200 w/out contracts so :p o and can i get my vet rank now already? u said last night
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: 3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th   3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th Icon_minitime1June 9th 2008, 9:27 pm

Lbroskee wrote:
so um u go 2 the apple store, b/c the 8 GB is now 200 w/out contracts so :p o and can i get my vet rank now already? u said last night

jeez, dont demand it happy
Lbroskee

Lbroskee

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostSubject: Re: 3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th   3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th Icon_minitime1June 9th 2008, 9:29 pm

not a demand b/c i asked. demand is "!" not "?"
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: 3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th   3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th Icon_minitime1June 9th 2008, 9:29 pm

Lbroskee wrote:
not a demand b/c i asked. demand is "!" not "?"

calm down, you have white stars happy
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: 3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th   3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th Icon_minitime1June 9th 2008, 10:40 pm

wow, this years rumors were PERFECT. Apple previewed Mac OS X Snow Leopard O_o!
Lbroskee

Lbroskee

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostSubject: Re: 3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th   3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th Icon_minitime1June 9th 2008, 10:55 pm

the 2 hr thing didnt even show Snow Leopard so wtf. is there any video of this?
chris3d

chris3d

PostSubject: Re: 3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th   3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th Icon_minitime1June 10th 2008, 8:28 am

Lbroskee wrote:
You will no longer be able to activate the iPhone from home this go round, you will be forced to activate the phone @ an AT&T store, thus guaranteeing that you get that wonderful data plan smile

on the pricing, I just pulled this from another site:
"Here's how the costs break down: For the old iPhone, AT&T's cheapest unlimited-data plan went for $59.99 a month. Over 24 months, that was $1,439.76. Add in the $399 price of the phone and you were looking at $1,838.76 for two years of iPhone fun.

AT&T's new unlimited-data plan goes for $69.99 ($30 for data and $39.99 for its cheapest voice plan). For two years, that's $1,679.76, and then you've got the $199 phone -- a grand total of $1,878.76 for the iPhone over two years. So much for more affordable."

So, yeah...it's pretty much paying the same price per year (actually a little more), if you look @ what you'll be paying in your AT&T bill.
alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

PostSubject: Re: 3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th   3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th Icon_minitime1June 10th 2008, 8:38 am

but i just want a cheap iPod touch so i buy the barebone iPhone off of ebay or the apple store in atlanta or something and dont activate wink
chris3d

chris3d

PostSubject: Re: 3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th   3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th Icon_minitime1June 10th 2008, 11:49 am

alxmarcond wrote:
but i just want a cheap iPod touch so i buy the barebone iPhone off of ebay or the apple store in atlanta or something and dont activate wink

Just incase you didn't know, un-activated iPhones don't give access to any of the apps, and can only make emergency 911 calls. Not even the iPod functionality will work until the phone is activated. This is why Apple is having this process done in store this go round. It was a disaster last time when people couldn't get their phone activated due to crazy amounts of strain on the AT&T computers.

My guess is they will have a queue setup that they can put iPhones on and it will talk to the servers allowing x amount of activations per minute which they know the server can handle safely without becoming overwhelmed.
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th   3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th Icon_minitime1

3G iPhone announced - Release July 11th

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2 Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Galaxy GUI :: Tech Related :: Electronics and Mobile -
RSS Feed  

Topic and post times are displayed in GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) for guests
Go to Top · Contact Us · Privacy Policy · Terms of Use

Creative Commons 3.0 License. Last update: February 29, 2012
All trademarks mentioned on this page are the property of their respective owners

Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com