Galaxy GUI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Universe of Customization

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Galaxy GUI v2 Coming Soon - Stay Tuned for Details

Fedora Linux

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

'S it worth it?
yes
Fedora Linux I_vote_lcap67%Fedora Linux I_vote_rcap
 67% [ 6 ]
no
Fedora Linux I_vote_lcap33%Fedora Linux I_vote_rcap
 33% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 9

alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

Fedora Linux Vide
PostSubject: Fedora Linux   Fedora Linux Icon_minitime1January 15th 2008, 11:58 pm

alright, ive been using fedora for a while now and i really like it but when i ran the setup the first time i managed to screw up some stuff like the login screen. its not the beautiful Fedora Bluecurve logon, its the stupid flower with the crappy KDE style menus. Also SELinux is getting insanly annoying and the Fedora forums dont offer any help on fixing that. Do u guys think its worth it to do a clean install? I mean its fast and stuff but then i have to reload all my apps, all my music, all my plugins, i have to backup torrents, i have to back up emails... is it worth it? Also, if u think u know of a better distro than Fedora, or even another alternative OS (free only please tongue) please do tell! OUT!

EDIT: Thanks for moving this Markoz wink (no thumbs up smilie?)
bl1nk

bl1nk

I'm New
I'm New

Fedora Linux Vide
PostSubject: Re: Fedora Linux   Fedora Linux Icon_minitime1April 7th 2008, 12:09 pm

digging out this old thread ^^
I have to say, that I don't think, that Fedora is the right choice...
I have been using a lot of distributions till now.
I tried Ubuntu, Fedora, SuSE, openSuse, Debian, VectorLinux, Mandriva, Gentoo, ArchLinux and many more.
Till now, I think, that Archlinux is the best distribution (for me), it runs faster than any other ditribution i tried.
Also there is almost every package you need in the repositories. There is no need to add a custom repository, because there is the AUR (Arch User Repository). People can build their own packages and share them with other users.

I am using Backtrack on my EeePC. This distribution is based on Slax, which is based on Slackware.
Runs very fast till now, even with compiz-fusion enabled.
I chose Backtrack, because it is completely supported on the EeePC smile

The next thing I want to do, is to install FreeBSD. Yeh, I know, it's not Linux wink
purry

purry

Fedora Linux Vide
PostSubject: Re: Fedora Linux   Fedora Linux Icon_minitime1April 7th 2008, 8:41 pm

I like Ubuntu and Fedora 8. I have Ubuntu on my machine now, that is only because they have a huge community and were very helpful to me with driver issues.
alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

Fedora Linux Vide
PostSubject: Re: Fedora Linux   Fedora Linux Icon_minitime1April 7th 2008, 11:04 pm

lol, oldie thread but atm im using Ubuntu as my main for school cause the IT guy offers support for it, Slax, Arch, SUsE, Freespire, Linspire, Golbin Linux, AlineX, and FreeBSD for my home netowkr
haxit

haxit

I'm New
I'm New

Fedora Linux Vide
PostSubject: Re: Fedora Linux   Fedora Linux Icon_minitime1May 14th 2008, 7:48 pm

Ubuntu - I use.
Archlinux - Will use.
Backtrack - Have used, and will use when I get EEEPc.
Fedora - Crap IMO, unless if you are in a corporation happy
sparo

sparo

Fedora Linux Vide
PostSubject: Re: Fedora Linux   Fedora Linux Icon_minitime1May 15th 2008, 10:29 am

To me, Ubuntu and Fedora are pretty much the same thing. FTW.
alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

Fedora Linux Vide
PostSubject: Re: Fedora Linux   Fedora Linux Icon_minitime1May 15th 2008, 7:52 pm

WOW, Fedora and Ubuntu are COMPLETELY different from my perspective... if you dont mess with the actualy OS then you won't know what i mean. on the cover they are both essentially the same but ubuntu has more overall support wink
sparo

sparo

Fedora Linux Vide
PostSubject: Re: Fedora Linux   Fedora Linux Icon_minitime1May 15th 2008, 10:04 pm

Well, I'd probably know that if I had admin privileges. tongue
flowercold

flowercold

I'm New
I'm New

Fedora Linux Vide
PostSubject: Re: Fedora Linux   Fedora Linux Icon_minitime1May 16th 2008, 11:13 am

ubuntu
gSpace I use!

fedora i used!
alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

Fedora Linux Vide
PostSubject: Re: Fedora Linux   Fedora Linux Icon_minitime1May 17th 2008, 8:43 am

so install it mate! tongue

gSpace? never heard of it... not the same thing as gOS right?
ruipalmeira

ruipalmeira

Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Fedora Linux Vide
PostSubject: Re: Fedora Linux   Fedora Linux Icon_minitime1May 18th 2008, 1:10 pm

yes it is happy, and you are using alineX wich is a portuguese distribution =D.

Me i used Fedora Core, Opensuse, Suse, Mandriva, kubuntu..

Now i'm using gOS Space 2.9... and im lovin' it =P
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

Fedora Linux Vide
PostSubject: Re: Fedora Linux   Fedora Linux Icon_minitime1May 18th 2008, 1:14 pm

I'm not much of a linux fan myself surprised. I tried ubuntu a couple of times and gave up on it
chris3d

chris3d

Fedora Linux Vide
PostSubject: Re: Fedora Linux   Fedora Linux Icon_minitime1May 28th 2008, 1:13 am

I've been using Fedora and Ubuntu for a while now on my test box. I've always found Fedora to be somewhat bloated with software that the average person will never need, while Ubuntu is more back to basics. Ubuntu is everything you need with a little eye candy on the side tongue
purry

purry

Fedora Linux Vide
PostSubject: Re: Fedora Linux   Fedora Linux Icon_minitime1June 3rd 2008, 1:03 am

alxz310 wrote:
I'm not much of a linux fan myself surprised. I tried ubuntu a couple of times and gave up on it

When you work at it and get it to what you want it to be its amazing.
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

Fedora Linux Vide
PostSubject: Re: Fedora Linux   Fedora Linux Icon_minitime1June 3rd 2008, 2:59 am

purry wrote:
alxz310 wrote:

When you work at it and get it to what you want it to be its amazing.

seriously for me... no its not. I'd rather spend $399 on vista, theres my 5 cents.
Ubuntu is too buggy in graphical and interface terms, sure its more secure and more stable OS but it does not fit with my every day uses. I HATE the way fonts look on it, especially with websites and my printer doesnt work with it and there are issues with the wireless card as well, so you see driver problems.
alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

Fedora Linux Vide
PostSubject: Re: Fedora Linux   Fedora Linux Icon_minitime1June 5th 2008, 7:15 am

those havnt been fixed? fonts can be changed easy wink you give up too fast mate! lazy bum T_T ^_^
pencilcheck

pencilcheck

I'm New
I'm New

Fedora Linux Vide
PostSubject: Re: Fedora Linux   Fedora Linux Icon_minitime1June 27th 2008, 4:30 am

You can change the way fonts are rendered. And there are thousands more free great fonts on the net. Don't give up that easily, remember when you first using windows, what was it like? Annoying? Happy? Are you really content with what windows can offer you?
If you were, then I believe that you would never tried linux.
alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

Fedora Linux Vide
PostSubject: Re: Fedora Linux   Fedora Linux Icon_minitime1June 27th 2008, 8:39 pm

when i had first used windows i admit, my dream was to become a windows developer. now i am disgusted at the very thought xD windows is amazing to those who know nothing else. arrogance is bliss as they say.

btw, as far as nautilus goes, there are now scripts for auto installation of fonts, u still have to restart ur computer but u dont need to do all of the cacheing manually happy
ruipalmeira

ruipalmeira

Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Fedora Linux Vide
PostSubject: Re: Fedora Linux   Fedora Linux Icon_minitime1August 18th 2008, 12:47 pm

for unix noobs, the better really is Ubuntu... don't say vista is better please! because it's not, even WinXP is better than vista for god's sake. installing fonts is really easy, just google, u don't need extra apps to modify the environment of it, if you have a decent nvidia card (something like Geforce 5200, all the way up), it will work like charm...

fedora, in the other hand, takes to much time to install, i installed it 2 times, and each one took 1H and 30 minutes, and ubuntu, took like 20~30 minutes... with driver installation included.

peace
alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

Fedora Linux Vide
PostSubject: Re: Fedora Linux   Fedora Linux Icon_minitime1August 20th 2008, 5:57 pm

I dunno hats wrong with your livecd but my fedora installs in about 20 min or so...
ruipalmeira

ruipalmeira

Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Fedora Linux Vide
PostSubject: Re: Fedora Linux   Fedora Linux Icon_minitime1September 5th 2008, 11:57 am

alxmarcond wrote:
I dunno hats wrong with your livecd but my fedora installs in about 20 min or so...
i think the real problem of my Fedora installation is that i'm instaling the DVD version... too much software too choose from.....
alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

Fedora Linux Vide
PostSubject: Re: Fedora Linux   Fedora Linux Icon_minitime1September 5th 2008, 4:01 pm

ahhh, just try downloading the 700MB ISO
Sponsored content

Fedora Linux Vide
PostSubject: Re: Fedora Linux   Fedora Linux Icon_minitime1

Fedora Linux

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Galaxy GUI :: Tech Related :: Operating Systems :: Linux Discussion -
RSS Feed  

Topic and post times are displayed in GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) for guests
Go to Top · Contact Us · Privacy Policy · Terms of Use

Creative Commons 3.0 License. Last update: February 29, 2012
All trademarks mentioned on this page are the property of their respective owners

Make a forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com