Galaxy GUI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Universe of Customization

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Galaxy GUI v2 Coming Soon - Stay Tuned for Details

Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers? Vide
PostSubject: Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers?   Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers? Icon_minitime1March 29th 2008, 8:00 pm

Apple, it seems, hasn't totally gotten used to making browsers for Windows.

The license agreement for the company's Safari Web browser on Windows includes an interesting restriction: "The software allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time."

Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers? Safari10

The Register, which was tipped off by legal eagles at the Italian site settleB.IT, calls the terms a "mockery of end user agreements."

Apple last week caught a lot of flak from users and from Mozilla, which makes the rival Firefox browser, for its practice of offering Safari for Windows as part of its auto-update service for iTunes.

Let's see how many millions of Safari for Windows downloads there are before Apple's legal corp tweaks their language to cover exotic things like, you know, Windows PCs.

Update 7:11 AM Pacific: The Apple license has been updated so that Windows PC users can install Safari without fear of violating any licenses. The change occurred overnight Wednesday to Thursday European time.

Last edited by alxz310 on May 28th 2008, 9:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lbroskee

Lbroskee

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostSubject: Re: Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers?   Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers? Icon_minitime1March 29th 2008, 8:13 pm

wow. all they did was copy and paste it
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers?   Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers? Icon_minitime1March 29th 2008, 8:24 pm

Lbroskee wrote:
wow. all they did was copy and paste it

from the same agreement thats on safari for mac? xD
Lbroskee

Lbroskee

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostSubject: Re: Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers?   Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers? Icon_minitime1March 29th 2008, 8:39 pm

ya i guess so. since i mean it says its for apple labeled comps. i never seen the apple one myself tho. i install updates while i sleep
alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

PostSubject: Re: Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers?   Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers? Icon_minitime1March 29th 2008, 8:49 pm

im pissed. Apple is treating non Mac users like crap! they keep asking me over and over and over if i want to download Safari when i update iTunes, which has been a LOT lately.
chris3d

chris3d

PostSubject: Re: Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers?   Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers? Icon_minitime1May 28th 2008, 1:02 am

Yeah, they simply copied the EULA from the Mac version of Safari. I guess it makes sense seeing as how a port of most apps wouldn't really require a changing of the license agreement. You can't really blame Apple for previously locking Safari to the Mac platform. If they didn't port it nobody was...
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers?   Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers? Icon_minitime1May 28th 2008, 2:29 am

chris3d wrote:
Yeah, they simply copied the EULA from the Mac version of Safari. I guess it makes sense seeing as how a port of most apps wouldn't really require a changing of the license agreement. You can't really blame Apple for previously locking Safari to the Mac platform. If they didn't port it nobody was...

Well its kind of funny if you look at it. All the ports to windows (iTunes and Safari) run a LOT smoother on Mac OS X then on Windows. iTunes.. i find it to be slow and overall buggy on windows (same as safari), but on a Mac it runs like a dream.. even on old Power Book's which specs are WAY below todays computers
ruipalmeira

ruipalmeira

Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

PostSubject: Re: Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers?   Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers? Icon_minitime1October 5th 2008, 10:48 am

SbuxBlaze wrote:
chris3d wrote:

Well its kind of funny if you look at it. All the ports to windows (iTunes and Safari) run a LOT smoother on Mac OS X then on Windows. iTunes.. i find it to be slow and overall buggy on windows (same as safari), but on a Mac it runs like a dream.. even on old Power Book's which specs are WAY below todays computers

really... but who cares ? who does actually read EULA's ? lol lol
alexrogahn

alexrogahn

I'm New
I'm New

PostSubject: Re: Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers?   Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers? Icon_minitime1December 2nd 2008, 6:37 am

^ True. But saying apple treats windows users like crap is hypocritical, Microsoft software is usually very expensive for mac and is... well crap tbh, imho Microsoft is crap. Still apple really are stupid for putting that in the licence...
Cookie

I'm New
I'm New

PostSubject: Re: Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers?   Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers? Icon_minitime1December 2nd 2008, 1:27 pm

Office is better on Mac OS X than on Windows…
The same for Safari happy
Rob

Rob

I'm New
I'm New

PostSubject: Re: Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers?   Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers? Icon_minitime1December 2nd 2008, 2:34 pm

I love it when threads turn into apple vs windows.

Anyway, here's my opinion (which is clearly backed up by the EULA mishap).

You can't say Apple is better than Microsoft, because:

- OSX Is a good operating system, but it's only good because Apple spent there resources, time and money into making it a good operating system to work on Macs. It won't work well on PC hardware.

- Compared to Microsoft, whom spend many many hours and millions of dollars making sure they're OS works on any hardware it's introduced to. Aswell as keeping it usable and feature-packed.

- Apple sell they're products because of there design, not performence.

- A PC the same Spec as a Mac would be cheaper to buy, and perform just as good with OSX, but wait? OHSHI They can't run it, it's a PC.

- Upgrading a Mac, hardware wise, is very limited, you only have a limited selection of Ram, Hard drives and....that's it I think, to choose from.

- With a PC, You can upgrade to anything, whether it's a new motherboard, heat sink, processor, memory, case, etc.

Must I continue? No I doubt it.

So, to conclude my points, Apple is a lazy company, who force users into limitations at a higher price than a PC equivilent. They don't spend as much time and money as Microsoft making sure there software works on a huge array of computers, instead they spend all there money on glossy paint for the Mac's.

Slightly off-topic, and slightly bias I know, but I felt I had to post this, as Apple just copy and pasting the EULA is the most perfect example of their lazyness.
alexrogahn

alexrogahn

I'm New
I'm New

PostSubject: Re: Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers?   Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers? Icon_minitime1December 2nd 2008, 3:24 pm

huh not much to argue against there... I wouln't call apple lazy I'd call then laid back if they were lazy then there wouldn't be macs.
.: Stezz :.

Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

PostSubject: Re: Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers?   Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers? Icon_minitime1December 2nd 2008, 5:58 pm

Rob wrote:
I love it when threads turn into apple vs windows.

Anyway, here's my opinion (which is clearly backed up by the EULA mishap).

You can't say Apple is better than Microsoft, because:

- OSX Is a good operating system, but it's only good because Apple spent there resources, time and money into making it a good operating system to work on Macs. It won't work well on PC hardware.

- Compared to Microsoft, whom spend many many hours and millions of dollars making sure they're OS works on any hardware it's introduced to. Aswell as keeping it usable and feature-packed.

- Apple sell they're products because of there design, not performence.

- A PC the same Spec as a Mac would be cheaper to buy, and perform just as good with OSX, but wait? OHSHI They can't run it, it's a PC.

- Upgrading a Mac, hardware wise, is very limited, you only have a limited selection of Ram, Hard drives and....that's it I think, to choose from.

- With a PC, You can upgrade to anything, whether it's a new motherboard, heat sink, processor, memory, case, etc.

Must I continue? No I doubt it.

So, to conclude my points, Apple is a lazy company, who force users into limitations at a higher price than a PC equivilent. They don't spend as much time and money as Microsoft making sure there software works on a huge array of computers, instead they spend all there money on glossy paint for the Mac's.

Slightly off-topic, and slightly bias I know, but I felt I had to post this, as Apple just copy and pasting the EULA is the most perfect example of their lazyness.
#

Interesting, we all know both companies have different work ethics... This just seems like a sloppy job Apple have done with the EULA I think, but simple, it was fixed, no biggie.
pjdark

pjdark

Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

PostSubject: Re: Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers?   Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers? Icon_minitime1December 2nd 2008, 7:42 pm

I totally agree with SbuxBlaze. Running Itunes on windows is absolutely terrible. Safari sucks on it as well. But on my Mackintosh it's heaven sent. love

Edit: Haha nice one Apple. Also i give a huge thumbs down to the braniacs who made it so you can't resize windows on all four sides. Another genius move apple.
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers?   Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers? Icon_minitime1December 2nd 2008, 8:24 pm

If OS X Leopard was released for every platform, not just Macs... you'd see it outself windows easily. But, apple likes to keep things very "secure" so this is definitely not happening any time soon
Cookie

I'm New
I'm New

PostSubject: Re: Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers?   Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers? Icon_minitime1December 3rd 2008, 10:56 am

They can't do that, simply because if OS X would be made available for every brand of computers they will sell less Apple hardware (maybe the half or more !). If you can have Mac OS X running smooth on a 500$ machine, why would you pay the double or triple ?
The design and quality are important too, but Mac OS X is the important key for Apple Inc. !
Rob

Rob

I'm New
I'm New

PostSubject: Re: Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers?   Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers? Icon_minitime1December 3rd 2008, 12:13 pm

^ Define Apple Hardware.

The CPU, Ram, Graphics, etc. All that stuff is made by other companies.
Cookie

I'm New
I'm New

PostSubject: Re: Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers?   Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers? Icon_minitime1December 4th 2008, 9:04 am

Like the case with Psystar.
ruipalmeira

ruipalmeira

Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

PostSubject: Re: Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers?   Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers? Icon_minitime1January 14th 2009, 11:14 pm

who the f*ck reads EULA's ? mostly are only written to U.S.A. so, NO FEAR tongue

we all should be able to buy a copy of leopard and install it without hacks.. for instance.

PS : cookie.. the "Apple" hardware is not that GOOD... i can build a 700€ computer that kicks ass to every single config that Apple has to offer to normal users (MAC PRO is another story, it uses FB-Dimm Ram sticks so that increases the price like hell.) what really turn people into Macs is their design and Operative system... i wouldn't care much about the design... if i only could experience MACOS X in my custom built pc.

PS : noticed that i'm the gravedigger here.... sigh ._____________.
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers?   Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers? Icon_minitime1

Safari for Windows: Only for 'Apple-labeled' computers?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Galaxy GUI :: Tech Related :: Operating Systems :: Mac OSX Discussion -
RSS Feed  

Topic and post times are displayed in GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) for guests
Go to Top · Contact Us · Privacy Policy · Terms of Use

Creative Commons 3.0 License. Last update: February 29, 2012
All trademarks mentioned on this page are the property of their respective owners

Create a forum on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com