Galaxy GUI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Universe of Customization

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Galaxy GUI v2 Coming Soon - Stay Tuned for Details

VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Hibbsi

Hibbsi

Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers? Vide
PostSubject: VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers?   VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers? Icon_minitime1February 25th 2008, 9:19 pm

Sooo, I have been using VirtualBox for running multiple os's at the same time without any problems. But now i try Ubuntu (gutsy) and i can't get any drivers to install or be detected. Hence, the resolution is only 800*600, and desktop effects are disabled, which is driving me Crazy. I have installed the guest add-ons for Ubuntu in VirtualBox, which made many more drivers available, but not the correct one. I know there is a way, but how should i come about installing the driver on the virtual pc?

video card is ATI Radeon X1300, which i can find the driver for, but i'm hitting a wall when i go to install it.

Thanks in advance for help!
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers?   VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers? Icon_minitime1February 25th 2008, 9:23 pm

hmm, I dont think you can run with desktop effects. i had run it with 1280x1024 in vmware fusion but never got the effects to work. just download ubuntu (Free) burn to cd and boot from cd. when you do double click install, follow options, it will make a new partition (nothing will harm your computer) as well as add an entry to the bootloader.

installing on parition would be easiest since you would get all support and desktop effects
Hibbsi

Hibbsi

Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

PostSubject: Re: VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers?   VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers? Icon_minitime1February 25th 2008, 9:44 pm

I have Ubuntu already on my external HD, and i love it, but i can't fully convert to it and not use xp. What i'm doing is having ubuntu installed on a virtual computer, so that i can have it run whilst running xp to be able to switch between the two quickly.

thanks for your help,
and thanks for the quick reply, too!
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers?   VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers? Icon_minitime1February 25th 2008, 10:18 pm

Hibbsi wrote:
I have Ubuntu already on my external HD, and i love it, but i can't fully convert to it and not use xp. What i'm doing is having ubuntu installed on a virtual computer, so that i can have it run whilst running xp to be able to switch between the two quickly.

thanks for your help,
and thanks for the quick reply, too!

no, you do not need to lose xp, you can dual boot. if you choose advanced options during install it makes a dual-boot with either xp or vista if you install on another partition tongue.

EDIT: nvm, you wanna change quickly. Download VMWare Player (free). It gets native resolution and sound at least wink
manufn619

manufn619

Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

PostSubject: Re: VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers?   VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers? Icon_minitime1February 25th 2008, 10:40 pm

try wubi it got 7.04, automatic partiditon 30 gb, i had it before it was good, but my graphics card not supported, ati x200+, so ya
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers?   VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers? Icon_minitime1February 25th 2008, 10:45 pm

manufn619 wrote:
try wubi it got 7.04, automatic partiditon 30 gb, i had it before it was good, but my graphics card not supported, ati x200+, so ya

omg i hated it lol. If you do hard shut down it DELETES your entire computer and stuff
I did it once cause it froze.. i turn on computer.. xp doesnt boot.. ubuntus gone, etc
alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

PostSubject: Re: VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers?   VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers? Icon_minitime1February 26th 2008, 12:04 am

that graphics card is supported, u just need to install the propiotary repositories and then follow one of the billions of guides on the ubuntu forums wink

fedora is my recomendation, not ubuntu btw.
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers?   VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers? Icon_minitime1February 26th 2008, 12:06 am

exuberance wrote:
that graphics card is supported, u just need to install the propiotary repositories and then follow one of the billions of guides on the ubuntu forums wink

fedora is my recomendation, not ubuntu btw.

ubuntu looks nice surprised more user friendly
alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

PostSubject: Re: VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers?   VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers? Icon_minitime1February 26th 2008, 12:10 am

depends on how u look at it, when u say user friendly do u mean installing stuff? cause if thats the case they ur wrong. rpm is the most widely used packaging format, not deb which is whats used by ubuntu. fedora uses rpm. yum is simpler than apt-get as u very well know wink add remove programs on ubuntu is more graphical but lacks intuition. fedora add remove makes it easy to update, remove, reinstall, and it allows u to edit repositories easy peasy so that getting flash is easier and also being able to play propiotary videos is supported. Fedora uses LEGAL codecs for video. Ubuntu, uses ILLEGAL free ones. Fedora is supported by the Red Hat corportation, the largest linux comportation in the world spanning over 180 nations. Also the army uses Fedora linux. Plus i use fedora so support is here and easy to get wink
manufn619

manufn619

Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

PostSubject: Re: VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers?   VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers? Icon_minitime1February 26th 2008, 11:55 am

i used to use ubuntu in the time of beryl,when compiz fusion was a baby, so idk how it shaped up in the end

i use sabayon linux

its awsome,kde, with everything installed

http://www.sabayonlinux.org/
Hibbsi

Hibbsi

Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

PostSubject: Re: VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers?   VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers? Icon_minitime1February 26th 2008, 4:42 pm

Thanks for the help everybody

@exuberance-
thanks for telling me to install the repositories
and i'll look into fedora, it sounds great

@alxz310-
yeah, i agree with the statement of ubuntu's graphic interface, but i'll give both of them a try
alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

PostSubject: Re: VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers?   VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers? Icon_minitime1February 26th 2008, 7:07 pm

KDE is a memory hog! Its got some effects that i wouldnt mind in GNOME but KDE is WAY too much like windows for my taste. sabayon linux looks ugly imo. could do without the blood red. Fedora Blue is just so sexy! Heres the preinstalled list of software:

Accesories:
Text Editor - G-Edit
Screenshot Taker - GNOME Screen
Archive Manager - File Roller
Calculator - gnome-calc
Dictionary - G-Dict
Character Map - gnome-charmap

Games:
Solitaire
Tetris
Nibbles (snake like game)
Blackjack
Backgammon
GNU Chess
Robots
Some other small games like that

Graphics:
Photo Manager - F-Spot
Photo Manipulation - The GNU Image Manipulation Program (The GIMP)
PDF Viewer - Document Viewer

Internet:
Browser - Firefox 2 (easy update to 3 if desired)
Instant Messenger - Pidgin
Email Client - Evolution
BitTorrent Client - Transmission
Contact Manager - gnome-contacts
IP Telephony - Ekiga (Skype like program)

Office:
Word Processor - Abiword
Calender - G-Calander
Spreadsheets - Gnumeric
To-Do - gnome-tasks

System Tools:
System Monitor
Bluetooth Manager
File Browser - Nautillus
Partition Manager - GParted
Power Stats
Firewall
Software Updater
System Logs
Terminally hate
CD/DVD Burner (ISO's Data, Music, ect)
GConf-Editor (Registry like app)
Theme Manager (Desktop Walls, Window Borders, Fonts, Screensavers)
Compiz (Desktop Effects)
Sessions (what starts when u log in)
Advance power management (my battery lasts up to eight hours)
Hibbsi

Hibbsi

Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

PostSubject: Re: VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers?   VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers? Icon_minitime1March 1st 2008, 6:50 pm

Wow, thanks guys!
I now have fedora, after i tried them both and found that i like it better

But now for the bad news....
The IO-ACPI + timer problem that apparently is very common with many linux distros is also affecting mine. So, i guess kernel patching is the next step? I really dont want to have to use vesa drivers. I'm updating everything I can in hope that maybe one of the many updates will fix this, but im doubtful it will help. For now i'm just using my laptop untill i can work it out.

Edit: Also, what would be the source of a problem with usb devices? My mouse stops responding and my keyboard does also, but not as often. What's really confusing me is that both will work at first, and then stop responding.
alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

PostSubject: Re: VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers?   VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers? Icon_minitime1March 2nd 2008, 11:10 am

are they wireless? mine do that when the battery is about to die. Then people think im a noob in Halo tongue try changing the battery if they're wireless. if their not wireless, what brand are they?

quoting a good friend over on the mempis forums

"Acpi is the modern power control interface for computers. It lives in your BIOS and controls such things as CPU scaling, fans, temperature reporting,etc. Many BIOS are shipped with buggy or incomplete implementations, however, if someone has fixed them, it is possible to load a fixed version at boot time and use that instead. Check out acpi.sf.net. You might try extracting your DSDT tables from your bios and run them through the iasl compiler to see how many errors it reports--you might be unpleasantly surprised..."

that should work. If you system clock isn't working. log in as root (go to the login screen and type in root as the username and then your root password that u set when installing. If you're purely running a live session then theres no hope im afraid. but login as root, change the system time zone. shut down. boot into your BIOS and change the system time there to the correct time if its wrong. If its not then leave it and log into linux. In linux if the time is wrong the calculate by how much time its wrong and then set the BIOS time forward or backwards depending on how many hours behind or ahead the clock is. That should fix it. Worked for alxz when i told em... hoping the best for you. and congradulations on getting linux. Soon you'll be able to use Galaxy Linux tongue
Hibbsi

Hibbsi

Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

PostSubject: Re: VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers?   VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers? Icon_minitime1March 2nd 2008, 1:26 pm

thanks for the help, but i'm still getting problems lol
the weird thing about all of this is the fact that the mouse and keyboard aren't wireless
the keyboard is a saitek eclipse and the mouse is a standard dell optical mouse.
I've looked around and found that the problems for this may be solved by a bios update. I will definitely look into checking bios for errors, it does appear to be the problem.

Thank you very much for the help!
alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

PostSubject: Re: VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers?   VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers? Icon_minitime1March 2nd 2008, 4:47 pm

no prob. flashing your BIOS is very dangerous so make sure to print out the instructions and READ VERY CAREFULLY. you can fry your computer BEYOND REPAIR.
Hibbsi

Hibbsi

Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

PostSubject: Re: VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers?   VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers? Icon_minitime1March 2nd 2008, 10:02 pm

Yeah, i was going to ask about that next, as i'm aware of the possibility that it may fix everything, or turn my computer into a pile of metal. I really dont want to do that. I'm pretty sure that i have found the correct procedure and have printed it out in duplicate, but I don't want to be just "pretty sure", i want to be absolutely positive. I guess the easiest (and safest) plan of action would be to temporarily install XP again, run the Dell BIOS update .exe, and then reinstall Fedora 8.

I'm really starting to wish I had waited until Dell started selling computers with linux pre-installed. Oh well. I wouldve been fine running ubuntu, that is, until I tried fedora. I don't think I want to go back. XD

Anyway, thanks! (yet again)

P.S. I feel like I'm just asking questions and not adding my input in this forum, and i just want to say it wont stay that way. I just can't concentrate on much until i get my computer up and running correctly lol
alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

PostSubject: Re: VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers?   VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers? Icon_minitime1March 3rd 2008, 12:04 am

hey man, thats cool. im here for support mostly tongue alright. Make sure u have the absolute right version. that would screw it up too. BIOS is a messy thing to mess with... hopefully urs turns out well. i fried an old HP BIOS when i was 10... tried to update it lol had the wrong version of the computer... lost a bunch of stuff for school... oh well. i got it all back from the sectors thank god. best of luck!
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers?   VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers? Icon_minitime1

VirtualBox Ubuntu on XP video drivers?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Galaxy GUI :: Tech Related :: Operating Systems :: Linux Discussion -
RSS Feed  

Topic and post times are displayed in GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) for guests
Go to Top · Contact Us · Privacy Policy · Terms of Use

Creative Commons 3.0 License. Last update: February 29, 2012
All trademarks mentioned on this page are the property of their respective owners

Create a forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com