Galaxy GUI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Universe of Customization

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Galaxy GUI v2 Coming Soon - Stay Tuned for Details

A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Shifty Lem

Shifty Lem

Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock Vide
PostSubject: A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock   A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock Icon_minitime1October 17th 2008, 3:59 pm

Not sure how helpful this will be (or how much sense it will make lol )

Pick the dock skin you want to port and open it in graphics app (photoshop, gimp etc.)

resize the canvass if you need to so that there is no transparent space around the image

then you have to cut the ends of the image but make sure that the right and left are both the same size i.e. 40x100 for both ends, rename each end to RightBorder/LeftBorder respectively.

the section you are left with will be the MiddleBorder so save it as this again resize the canvas to remove any transparent space.

the running indicator an be left as it is but it may have to be renamed to Indicator

the separator will have to be resized to match the height of your MiddleBorder image.
Save all images as Png's NOTE All dock images right,left & middle MUST Now be 40px high
that's it for the actual dock images.

Last edited by Shifty Lem on December 16th 2008, 11:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Shifty Lem

Shifty Lem

Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

PostSubject: Re: A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock   A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock Icon_minitime1October 17th 2008, 4:07 pm

Now for putting the skin together copy all of the images you've just made into your XWindows Dock/tools folder.

go back to the XWindows Dock/skins folder and copy the contents of the Current folder to the /tools folder. At this point you can change the images used for the folder, trash can, stacks on/off etc. just rename them to match the ones already there.

open the config file and edit the first line (Description=Whatever the dock name is)

select everything but the XskinMaker Important when you drag all the items to the xskinmaker make sure you grab the config file and nothing else this should generate a skin.smxd file rename to match the dock and cut/copy to skins folder

restart XWindows Dock and then select your skin
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock   A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock Icon_minitime1October 17th 2008, 7:00 pm

Nice guide, very useful thumbs up
kflakes15

kflakes15

Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

PostSubject: Re: A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock   A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock Icon_minitime1October 17th 2008, 7:42 pm

dude thanks u finally a tut i understand. as soon as i have time i am doing this. But how do u cut in photoshop every time i trie crop it cuts out everything or do u use the cut tool. I am good in photoshop but i cant figure that out FAIL
Shifty Lem

Shifty Lem

Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

PostSubject: Re: A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock   A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock Icon_minitime1October 18th 2008, 2:10 am

I use ctrl+x to cut simple but it works happy
kflakes15

kflakes15

Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

PostSubject: Re: A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock   A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock Icon_minitime1October 18th 2008, 9:09 am

ok thanks. Hopefully i can try this week
manufn619

manufn619

Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

PostSubject: Re: A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock   A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock Icon_minitime1October 18th 2008, 8:40 pm

So when you decided make skin for XWindows Dock, you should know it:

name; size ( Width x Height pixels ) ; Can use transparency ( ALPHA - channel );

* Break 14x40 Yes
* Check 16x16 No
* Close 48x48 No
* Left ?x40 No
* Middle ?x40 No
* Right ?x40 No
* ControlPanel ?x? ?
* MyComputer ?x? ?
* Recycler ?x? ?
* RecyclerFull ?x? ?
* StackOn ?x? ?
* StackOff ?x? ?

Where you can see "?" it's mean that you can use what you want.
kflakes15

kflakes15

Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

PostSubject: Re: A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock   A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock Icon_minitime1October 18th 2008, 9:12 pm

that just confuses me more
Shifty Lem

Shifty Lem

Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

PostSubject: Re: A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock   A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock Icon_minitime1October 19th 2008, 2:17 am

The border pieces don't have to be 40 high if you look at the studio docks I ported the silver version is 101 high and the black 103 and they both look fine some of the docks ported by Eiq2 are not 40 high either, the other parts (control panel, computer, trash cans etc.) just make sure they are the same size as the default ones. I've not tried it yet but I'm thinking you could use any size as long as its square 48x48, 512x512 and so on. really you have to make sure you rename the replacement file to the same as the one your replacing or change the config file to use the name of your file.
jaz

jaz

Resident Pixeljunkie
Resident Pixeljunkie

PostSubject: Re: A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock   A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock Icon_minitime1October 19th 2008, 12:01 pm

Thank you for this very useful tut ! thumbs up
Gerard19

Gerard19

Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

PostSubject: Re: A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock   A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock Icon_minitime1October 24th 2008, 6:53 pm

great tut!! thanks a lot very usefull happy
ruipalmeira

ruipalmeira

Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

PostSubject: Re: A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock   A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock Icon_minitime1October 24th 2008, 9:56 pm

i didn't knew this Xwindows Dock... is it worth the try happy:D
timbob

timbob

PostSubject: Re: A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock   A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock Icon_minitime1October 26th 2008, 1:25 pm

Thanks for the tutorial. Very useful. smile
nisto91

nisto91

I'm New
I'm New

PostSubject: Re: A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock   A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock Icon_minitime1April 12th 2009, 12:04 am

What about the maskborders?
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock   A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock Icon_minitime1

A quick guide to skinning XWindows Dock

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Galaxy GUI :: GUI Customization :: Requests and Discussions :: Tutorials -
RSS Feed  

Topic and post times are displayed in GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) for guests
Go to Top · Contact Us · Privacy Policy · Terms of Use

Creative Commons 3.0 License. Last update: February 29, 2012
All trademarks mentioned on this page are the property of their respective owners

Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com