Galaxy GUI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Universe of Customization

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Galaxy GUI v2 Coming Soon - Stay Tuned for Details

How do I get back the old Facebook?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

How do I get back the old Facebook? Vide
PostSubject: How do I get back the old Facebook?   How do I get back the old Facebook? Icon_minitime1September 29th 2008, 12:06 pm

Well, here's the short answer: you can't. Those of you whose interest in Facebook is limited to wondering why people bang on about it will probably baulk at the longer answer – but it does reveal an interesting attitude towards online services that are, after all, free to use, and how small changes can provoke mass mutinies from dissatisfied "customers" who somehow feel akin to shareholders.

Facebook implemented some layout alterations a few weeks back. Initially, these were optional – you could stick with the old site if you wanted to – but last week it became compulsory. It happens with all websites – it's called moving with the times, and if they didn't, they'd all look like grotesque efforts churned out by web-design students after the "Lesson 2: Adding Your First Images" module. But when your site has millions of users, these changes don't go unnoticed. Most people expect to find the site in precisely the same condition as when they last visited. And if they don't, they can become disproportionately furious.

Nearly 2.5m people have joined the "Against The New Layout!" Facebook group – one of many forums dedicated to spleen-venting over the changes. "Hell wit dis new facebook," says one comment. "dere r reasonz y facebook is so popular in d 1st place..so y change dem??" Sure, no one likes having their habits forcibly altered, but the vitriol that's been directed at the Facebook team is astonishing to behold. All that's been done is to arrange the previous clutter across tabs. No big deal – and probably the result of extensive research into the way people use the site. But from the reaction, you'd think they'd sold everyone's personal details to a Macedonian crime syndicate.

A website is nothing without its users, but if decisions regarding layout changes were made by consultation, nothing would ever change. A colossal boycott might conceivably make Facebook listen (Refer to "Blackout Facebook" Event) – but the group referred to above have chosen to use Facebook itself to register their protest. And as they post endless rants, they're probably quietly realising that the new site is actually a vast improvement. What's so good about a democratic process, anyway?
randomus_r

randomus_r

Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostSubject: Re: How do I get back the old Facebook?   How do I get back the old Facebook? Icon_minitime1September 29th 2008, 12:38 pm

I feel I'm one of the only people who likes the new one. Much better IMO confused
GoSco

GoSco

Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: How do I get back the old Facebook?   How do I get back the old Facebook? Icon_minitime1September 29th 2008, 12:50 pm

I don't like, it, its not going to change back, I can live with the changes, even use them to my advantage. Fair play. Stop whining. Although, I do admit I have joined the group against the "new" skin. If it were to change again people would want that one back. You can't win.
alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

PostSubject: Re: How do I get back the old Facebook?   How do I get back the old Facebook? Icon_minitime1September 29th 2008, 12:52 pm

i dont HATE then new layout, sorry if the post gave that impression. I just like the old one, partially because i loved the Stylish script that i had working for it and second because im just used to it tongue Idk. I dont like the new layout because it took away all of the emphasis on some of the things that i liked about facebook, AND my java script profile hacks dont work anymore! :'(
.: Stezz :.

Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

PostSubject: Re: How do I get back the old Facebook?   How do I get back the old Facebook? Icon_minitime1September 29th 2008, 4:00 pm

Yeah, I like the new layout, seems neater and just generally nicer :|
GoSco

GoSco

Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: How do I get back the old Facebook?   How do I get back the old Facebook? Icon_minitime1September 29th 2008, 5:05 pm

The new home page, they have split up all the feeds, which is good, but they are a bit too split up, and I didn't like the tabs, but I'm not really a hardcore FB user.
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: How do I get back the old Facebook?   How do I get back the old Facebook? Icon_minitime1September 29th 2008, 6:51 pm

randomus_r wrote:
I feel I'm one of the only people who likes the new one. Much better IMO confused

+1, heres another person that also likes the new one happy
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I get back the old Facebook?   How do I get back the old Facebook? Icon_minitime1

How do I get back the old Facebook?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Galaxy GUI :: Tech Related :: News Corner -
RSS Feed  

Topic and post times are displayed in GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) for guests
Go to Top · Contact Us · Privacy Policy · Terms of Use

Creative Commons 3.0 License. Last update: February 29, 2012
All trademarks mentioned on this page are the property of their respective owners

Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com