Galaxy GUI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Universe of Customization

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Galaxy GUI v2 Coming Soon - Stay Tuned for Details

[Tutorial] Custom Genre Artwork in iTunes 8

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
parry

parry

Subscriber
Subscriber

[Tutorial] Custom Genre Artwork in iTunes 8 Vide
PostSubject: [Tutorial] Custom Genre Artwork in iTunes 8   [Tutorial] Custom Genre Artwork in iTunes 8 Icon_minitime1September 17th 2008, 10:12 am

Not sure if this will benefit anyone but I thought I would let people know what I found out earlier today.

At first on iTunes 8 I realised that some my genre artwork was displaying wrongly, for example 'Rap' had the artwork of 'Hip Hop'. With a bit of tweaking you can change the genre artwork for any of your genres, I'll talk about how to do this below.

This is my first tutorial so I hope I've explained it enough so that it is easy to follow.

Things needed: iTunes 8 & The image you want to use for your genre artwork

BE SURE TO BACK-UP YOUR genres.plist FILE JUST IN CASE, ALSO BACK IT UP ONCE YOU'VE FINISHED ADDING NEW ARTWORKS AS A NEW iTUNES INSTALL MAY OVERWRITE THE CHANGES

Step 1. Windows Navigate to 'C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.Resources'
OS X /Applications/iTunes.app/Resources (To enter iTunes.app, right click or command click and hit "Show Package Contents..." or something similar) <- Props to alxmarcond

Step 2. Open up the 'genres.plist' in notepad

Step 3. Find a genre that you do not use within the text

Step 4. Replace the text to match your desired genre as shown in the example below, changing blues to rap

Code:

[b]Before[/b]

<key>matchString</key><string>blues</string>
         <key>resourceFile</key><string>genre-blues.jpg</string>

[b]After[/b]

<key>matchString</key><string>Rap</string>
         <key>resourceFile</key><string>genre-rap.jpg</string>

Step 5. Now rename the image you are going to use to genre-genrehere
In this case it would be genre-rap

Make sure you save the image as a JPG

Step 6. Place the image you are going to use in the same folder as the genres.plist file: (C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.Resources)

Step 7. Now repeat the above steps for your desired genres

Step 8. Enjoy your new artworks. You can see an example of this below, click the thumbnail for a larger view.

[Tutorial] Custom Genre Artwork in iTunes 8 Customzb9.th
alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

PostSubject: Re: [Tutorial] Custom Genre Artwork in iTunes 8   [Tutorial] Custom Genre Artwork in iTunes 8 Icon_minitime1September 17th 2008, 5:31 pm

of course Rap is a form of hip hop but nice hacking wink
parry

parry

Subscriber
Subscriber

PostSubject: Re: [Tutorial] Custom Genre Artwork in iTunes 8   [Tutorial] Custom Genre Artwork in iTunes 8 Icon_minitime1September 17th 2008, 5:34 pm

I know but I class some of my songs as rap, and some others as hip hip so that's why I did it :p

Thanks for the comment happy
alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

PostSubject: Re: [Tutorial] Custom Genre Artwork in iTunes 8   [Tutorial] Custom Genre Artwork in iTunes 8 Icon_minitime1September 17th 2008, 5:39 pm

ahhh, i see. ill have to look into these plist thingies. got into a bunch with the iphone but now thats sorta boring... maybe some iTunes hacking is in my future B)
ruipalmeira

ruipalmeira

Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

PostSubject: Re: [Tutorial] Custom Genre Artwork in iTunes 8   [Tutorial] Custom Genre Artwork in iTunes 8 Icon_minitime1October 7th 2008, 7:18 am

i think, i'll make one genre for souljaboy stuff... called shoot, with bling bling stuff, and shuttered sun glasses. happy
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: [Tutorial] Custom Genre Artwork in iTunes 8   [Tutorial] Custom Genre Artwork in iTunes 8 Icon_minitime1October 7th 2008, 10:29 am

nice tutorial parry thumbs up
parry

parry

Subscriber
Subscriber

PostSubject: Re: [Tutorial] Custom Genre Artwork in iTunes 8   [Tutorial] Custom Genre Artwork in iTunes 8 Icon_minitime1October 14th 2008, 2:29 pm

Thanks smile
alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

PostSubject: Re: [Tutorial] Custom Genre Artwork in iTunes 8   [Tutorial] Custom Genre Artwork in iTunes 8 Icon_minitime1October 14th 2008, 7:16 pm

on OS X its in iTunes.app (rtight click and hit "Show package contents" or something similar) and go into resource folder happy

ill add this to the post wink
cor3y

cor3y

I'm New
I'm New

PostSubject: Re: [Tutorial] Custom Genre Artwork in iTunes 8   [Tutorial] Custom Genre Artwork in iTunes 8 Icon_minitime1October 15th 2008, 5:30 am

nice Work
FrankaKo

FrankaKo

PostSubject: Re: [Tutorial] Custom Genre Artwork in iTunes 8   [Tutorial] Custom Genre Artwork in iTunes 8 Icon_minitime1October 15th 2008, 6:33 am

Big thanks for the Tutorial parry. wow!
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Tutorial] Custom Genre Artwork in iTunes 8   [Tutorial] Custom Genre Artwork in iTunes 8 Icon_minitime1

[Tutorial] Custom Genre Artwork in iTunes 8

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Galaxy GUI :: GUI Customization :: Requests and Discussions :: Tutorials -
RSS Feed  

Topic and post times are displayed in GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) for guests
Go to Top · Contact Us · Privacy Policy · Terms of Use

Creative Commons 3.0 License. Last update: February 29, 2012
All trademarks mentioned on this page are the property of their respective owners

Create a forum on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com