Galaxy GUI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Universe of Customization

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Galaxy GUI v2 Coming Soon - Stay Tuned for Details

What is Ubuntu?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
h i s o k a

h i s o k a

Resident Artist
Resident Artist

What is Ubuntu? Vide
PostSubject: What is Ubuntu?   What is Ubuntu? Icon_minitime1September 5th 2008, 1:20 pm

I did a search in google, and also in Ubuntu official website, but still dont understand what it is
is it an application that changes skins? or do effects?
can we use it in winXP Pro?
BOyOfWONDEr

BOyOfWONDEr

What is Ubuntu? Vide
PostSubject: Re: What is Ubuntu?   What is Ubuntu? Icon_minitime1September 5th 2008, 1:30 pm

Ubuntu is a Linux distro so it's an operating system equivelent to Windows. You can't install it to run inside WIN-XP but you can dual boot.
airf0rce0ne

airf0rce0ne

I'm New
I'm New

What is Ubuntu? Vide
PostSubject: Re: What is Ubuntu?   What is Ubuntu? Icon_minitime1September 5th 2008, 1:36 pm

Ubuntu is very skinnable but it is not an application for skinning the windows operating system. Ubuntu is an operating system like XP, Vista, 2k, OSX, ect....

That is the best and simplest way I know how to describe Ubuntu, hope that helps a little smile
GoSco

GoSco

Administrator
Administrator

What is Ubuntu? Vide
PostSubject: Re: What is Ubuntu?   What is Ubuntu? Icon_minitime1September 5th 2008, 1:58 pm

Haha, it is an OS, like Linux. Its open source so it is popular with developers.

You can read more here smile Its in Hebrew for you which I guess you can read as you are Israeli tongue
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

What is Ubuntu? Vide
PostSubject: Re: What is Ubuntu?   What is Ubuntu? Icon_minitime1September 5th 2008, 7:04 pm

Classroom tip for moderators... Ubuntu = Linux. Linux = Linux Discussion forum wink
h i s o k a

h i s o k a

Resident Artist
Resident Artist

What is Ubuntu? Vide
PostSubject: Re: What is Ubuntu?   What is Ubuntu? Icon_minitime1September 6th 2008, 4:50 am

Lol, thanks all for comment. I guess I wont use it...

GoSco wrote:
Haha, it is an OS, like Linux. Its open source so it is popular with developers.

You can read more here smile Its in Hebrew for you which I guess you can read as you are Israeli tongue

thanks for the link smile and yea am israeli but Arabic tongue although I can read hebrew tongue
GoSco

GoSco

Administrator
Administrator

What is Ubuntu? Vide
PostSubject: Re: What is Ubuntu?   What is Ubuntu? Icon_minitime1September 6th 2008, 7:02 am

Ohhhh, nice *Jealous* tongue
alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

What is Ubuntu? Vide
PostSubject: Re: What is Ubuntu?   What is Ubuntu? Icon_minitime1September 6th 2008, 12:05 pm

GoSco mentioned that its popular for developers, and actually, most developers develop using OS X, most of the users of Linux are either normal users who want a new experince and Companies like IBM and governments and armies also use Linux because of its security and amazing ability to run fast and stay stable even on the cheapest of machines. I suggest you look into reading the Wiki article on Ubuntu, Linux, GNU, GPL, Fedora, RedHat, and SUSE/OpenSUSE
pencilcheck

pencilcheck

I'm New
I'm New

What is Ubuntu? Vide
PostSubject: Re: What is Ubuntu?   What is Ubuntu? Icon_minitime1December 27th 2008, 12:23 am

well, ubuntu is not = to linux. Linux OS is just a term to describe an OS that has been using the Kernel developsed originally by Linus Torvald but added with some content to comply with the philosophy and useability. Ubuntu is the name for that modification.
Same goes with Archlinux, OpenSUSE, MintLinux, etc...

Just go to distrowatch.com and you will see.
.: Stezz :.

Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

What is Ubuntu? Vide
PostSubject: Re: What is Ubuntu?   What is Ubuntu? Icon_minitime1December 29th 2008, 9:36 pm

BOyOfWONDEr wrote:
Ubuntu is a Linux distro so it's an operating system equivelent to Windows. You can't install it to run inside WIN-XP but you can dual boot.

You can actually, via VMware happy
razar45

razar45

What is Ubuntu? Vide
PostSubject: Re: What is Ubuntu?   What is Ubuntu? Icon_minitime1December 30th 2008, 3:30 am

Ubuntu is a Linux Distro aka OS (Operating system) but i hate gnome...so im using Kubuntu with KDE happy
Sponsored content

What is Ubuntu? Vide
PostSubject: Re: What is Ubuntu?   What is Ubuntu? Icon_minitime1

What is Ubuntu?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Galaxy GUI :: Tech Related :: Operating Systems :: Linux Discussion -
RSS Feed  

Topic and post times are displayed in GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) for guests
Go to Top · Contact Us · Privacy Policy · Terms of Use

Creative Commons 3.0 License. Last update: February 29, 2012
All trademarks mentioned on this page are the property of their respective owners

Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com