Galaxy GUI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Universe of Customization

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Galaxy GUI v2 Coming Soon - Stay Tuned for Details

Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest Vide
PostSubject: Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest   Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest Icon_minitime1March 30th 2008, 5:13 pm

The Linux fans will be thrilled to find out that their favorite operating system have proved the safest at the contest organized this week by the security firm TippingPoint.

The contest was in Vancouver, Canada and it had three phases: during the first day, only network attacks were allowed, but none of the laptops could be broken into remotely. In the second day, rules stated that the hacker could give instructions to a staff member. During the third day, the rules of the contest allow the installation of popular 3rd party client applications on the notebooks.

The prizes were $20,000 for those who would manage to break the security of the laptops in the first day, $10,000 on day two and only $5,000 on the third day.

Apple’s MacBook was first to be hacked and for the team led by Charlie Miller, an analyst at Independent Security Evaluators, two minutes were enough to break the notebook.

The team of Charlie Miller, Jake Honoroff, and Mark Daniel from Independent Security Evaluators has successfully compromised the Apple MacBook Air by exploiting a brand new 0day vulnerability in Apple's Safari web browser.

In the third and final day Shane Macaulay from Security Objectives won the Fujitsu U810 laptop running Vista Ultimate SP1 after it was installed with the latest version of Adobe Flash.

In addition he won also $5,000, which he will probably share with the friends who helped him, Derek Callaway and Alexander Sotirov.

At the end of the third day, a Sony Vaio VGN-TZ37CN laptop running Ubuntu remained unhacked.
razar45

razar45

PostSubject: Re: Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest   Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest Icon_minitime1March 30th 2008, 5:30 pm

YESSSSS go ubuntu!.thing is...mac os x is based on linux so there you go
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest   Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest Icon_minitime1March 30th 2008, 5:51 pm

razar45 wrote:

the only reason the mba was hacked was because of a safari security hole tongue
razar45

razar45

PostSubject: Re: Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest   Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest Icon_minitime1March 30th 2008, 6:01 pm

macbook air sucks...macbook pro couldent be hacked...cause i use FIREFOX WOOT
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest   Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest Icon_minitime1March 30th 2008, 6:03 pm

razar45 wrote:
macbook air sucks...macbook pro couldent be hacked...cause i use FIREFOX WOOT

it was hacked in 9 hours
purry

purry

PostSubject: Re: Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest   Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest Icon_minitime1March 30th 2008, 6:22 pm

Love you Ubuntu.
alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

PostSubject: Re: Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest   Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest Icon_minitime1March 30th 2008, 7:00 pm

Quote :

how DARE you!?!?!?!?!?! OS X is *UNIX based NOT linux based *smacks head* *UNIX was developed by AT&T in the 80's and the linux kernel is based on it and the OS X kernel is based on it. u have to go back to the very core of the system for OS X and linux to be even remotely related T_T
razar45

razar45

PostSubject: Re: Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest   Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest Icon_minitime1March 30th 2008, 7:30 pm

yes it is -_- tiger is related although leopard is not...remember..i have taken a mac apart and put it back together...stripped it down to core drivers...trust me i know alot about macs
alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

PostSubject: Re: Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest   Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest Icon_minitime1March 30th 2008, 8:00 pm

Mac OS X is *UNIX Based. If it was based on linux then u would be able to install Linux apps on Mac and vise versa. Mac is more based on BSD which is a flavor of *UNIX and is close to linux but is not linux. Mac OS X, is NOT Linux
purry

purry

PostSubject: Re: Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest   Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest Icon_minitime1March 30th 2008, 8:38 pm

//Post edited. All caps not allowed.
Lbroskee

Lbroskee

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostSubject: Re: Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest   Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest Icon_minitime1March 30th 2008, 8:52 pm

wow. this is getting rediculous. who cares bout the flaws and if its hackable. mac wasnt hackable until it started getting big and the same will happen w/ linux and 1 day macs will get viruses jus as easy as windows. get over it it comes with time. its just it came windows, mac, then linux. thats the only reason u can even compare these OSes lik this
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest   Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest Icon_minitime1March 30th 2008, 9:06 pm

//Alright, any more flaming and this topic gets closed wink
Lbroskee

Lbroskee

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostSubject: Re: Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest   Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest Icon_minitime1March 30th 2008, 9:12 pm

dude just close it because the second they all get bak on and strt reading all the posts they are goin to start it again
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest   Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest Icon_minitime1March 30th 2008, 9:14 pm

Lbroskee wrote:
dude just close it because the second they all get bak on and strt reading all the posts they are goin to start it again

the second they get back to it they'll be temp banned and posts deleted. This was supposed to be a news topic not debate on what is better wink
Lbroskee

Lbroskee

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostSubject: Re: Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest   Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest Icon_minitime1March 30th 2008, 9:24 pm

i agree. and worst part is...this is our staff. its pathetic
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest   Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest Icon_minitime1March 30th 2008, 9:26 pm

Lbroskee wrote:
i agree. and worst part is...this is our staff. its pathetic

Last edited by alxz310 on March 30th 2008, 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lbroskee

Lbroskee

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostSubject: Re: Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest   Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest Icon_minitime1March 30th 2008, 9:28 pm

alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

PostSubject: Re: Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest   Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest Icon_minitime1May 12th 2008, 12:04 am

that is a sad conversations

pjdark

pjdark

Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

PostSubject: Re: Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest   Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest Icon_minitime1November 11th 2008, 4:13 am

That's why i love my linux. Haha, that's great. :-D
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest   Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest Icon_minitime1November 11th 2008, 3:46 pm

pjdark wrote:

What version of linux are you on?
BOyOfWONDEr

BOyOfWONDEr

PostSubject: Re: Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest   Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest Icon_minitime1November 11th 2008, 4:42 pm

Linux is so awesome! I'm on Ubuntu 8.04
razar45

razar45

PostSubject: Re: Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest   Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest Icon_minitime1November 11th 2008, 6:31 pm

can you get ubuntu on a mac???
BOyOfWONDEr

BOyOfWONDEr

PostSubject: Re: Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest   Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest Icon_minitime1November 11th 2008, 6:35 pm

razar45 wrote:

Yeah i'm pretty sure you can.
pjdark

pjdark

Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

PostSubject: Re: Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest   Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest Icon_minitime1November 11th 2008, 8:47 pm

SbuxBlaze wrote:
pjdark wrote:

What version of linux are you on?

Ubuntu 8.10 Really love linux. It's such an underestimated OS. Solid. Stable. Highly customizable. I think some people get intimidated about doing the whole command line thing {Can't say i blame them } But, i rarely use that option. Only when i have to upgrade that it messes up my emerald settings, then i use the command line to put my emerald back in place. Great operating system though. Some people i know at DA {Fratrip,lynucs, and ihacknslash} do some unreal stuff. Amazing custoer's the lot of them. :-D
SbuxBlaze

SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest   Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest Icon_minitime1November 11th 2008, 8:52 pm

razar45 wrote:

Yes, you can
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest   Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest Icon_minitime1

Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2 Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Galaxy GUI :: Tech Related :: Operating Systems :: Linux Discussion -
RSS Feed  

Topic and post times are displayed in GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) for guests
Go to Top · Contact Us · Privacy Policy · Terms of Use

Creative Commons 3.0 License. Last update: February 29, 2012
All trademarks mentioned on this page are the property of their respective owners

Create free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com