Galaxy GUI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Universe of Customization

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Galaxy GUI v2 Coming Soon - Stay Tuned for Details

VNC (Control PC via) iPod Touch/iPhone

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
BOyOfWONDEr

BOyOfWONDEr

VNC (Control PC via) iPod Touch/iPhone Vide
PostSubject: VNC (Control PC via) iPod Touch/iPhone   VNC (Control PC via) iPod Touch/iPhone Icon_minitime1August 27th 2008, 12:26 pm

In this tutorial I will explain how to use the Mocha VNC lite app (free one) to access your computer and control it from your iPod/iPhone.
I will be doing this on a Windows PC but it is also pretty straightfoward for mac and probably linux too...

You will need:

-The VNC client for the iPhone/iPod (Mocha VNC lite)
-The Server software for the PC (I will be using Ultra VNC because it was the only one i could get to work on vista) http://www.uvnc.com/download/index.html
-An iPhone/iPod with Wifi or other internet connection (needs to be pretty fast)
-A PC with and internet connection to act as your server...

1. Install Ultra VNC (link above)

2. Go to Start>Programs>UltraVNC Server and set up like so...

VNC (Control PC via) iPod Touch/iPhone Screen10

3. To confirm that the server is running there should be a little eye icon in your system tray.

4. Download the Mocha VNC app from the App Store.

5. Tap the icon when it's on your springboard and you should have a large power icon like this....

VNC (Control PC via) iPod Touch/iPhone Screen11

6. Tap the menu icon and select edit connections and choose one of the unused ones on the host list.

7. You will need your computers IP address, to get this. Pull up the Run... dialogue on your PC and type 'cmd' then type ipconfig...then look for ipv* address.

8. Go back to your device and type the numbers where it says VNC Server IP address.

VNC (Control PC via) iPod Touch/iPhone Screen12

9. If you configured a password enter that aswell and give the connection a name.

10. 32-bit colour mode should only be off really if you're connection speed is somewhere near dialup.

11. At the top click connect and you should see you current desktop.

Enjoy happy

(This is good for scaring people who don't know about computers)

*There are other VNC viewer apps for the iPod/iPhone that are better but i used the free version for convenience (i have no money sad )
These include - Teleport
Mocha paid version

And as alxmarcond said you can install a client on your pen drive and view your home PC from wherever you are.

Last edited by BOyOfWONDEr on August 30th 2008, 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
timbob

timbob

PostSubject: Re: VNC (Control PC via) iPod Touch/iPhone   VNC (Control PC via) iPod Touch/iPhone Icon_minitime1August 27th 2008, 2:07 pm

Great tutorial, did you have to install additional drivers? That is the bit I am worried about.
BOyOfWONDEr

BOyOfWONDEr

PostSubject: Re: VNC (Control PC via) iPod Touch/iPhone   VNC (Control PC via) iPod Touch/iPhone Icon_minitime1August 27th 2008, 2:13 pm

None at all just software and nothing messes with your system or iPhone/iPod
alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

PostSubject: Re: VNC (Control PC via) iPod Touch/iPhone   VNC (Control PC via) iPod Touch/iPhone Icon_minitime1August 30th 2008, 9:57 am

Note that this will work with teleport which in my opinion is so much easier to use and control (suggest u check it out wonder wink) but its not free. This setup also allows you to be able to connect from any PC with VNC viewer insatlled, i keep it on a flash drive wink
BOyOfWONDEr

BOyOfWONDEr

PostSubject: Re: VNC (Control PC via) iPod Touch/iPhone   VNC (Control PC via) iPod Touch/iPhone Icon_minitime1August 30th 2008, 10:26 am

alxmarcond wrote:
Note that this will work with teleport which in my opinion is so much easier to use and control (suggest u check it out wonder wink) but its not free. This setup also allows you to be able to connect from any PC with VNC viewer insatlled, i keep it on a flash drive wink

Does that mean that i could check my home pc on a school pc that you have to log into kinda system...?
Also i saw teleport in the app store and didn't realise it was a VNC viewer so i'll check that out thanks smile
alxmarcond

alxmarcond

Community Leader
Community Leader

PostSubject: Re: VNC (Control PC via) iPod Touch/iPhone   VNC (Control PC via) iPod Touch/iPhone Icon_minitime1August 30th 2008, 1:15 pm

yeah, just copy the program files to a flash drive and stick it in another computer, go into the folder and open VNC veiwer, but then you have to do a remote with a url (use no-ip.com to set that up)
BOyOfWONDEr

BOyOfWONDEr

PostSubject: Re: VNC (Control PC via) iPod Touch/iPhone   VNC (Control PC via) iPod Touch/iPhone Icon_minitime1August 30th 2008, 1:18 pm

hmm, interesting... might give it a go if i have a couple of free's
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VNC (Control PC via) iPod Touch/iPhone   VNC (Control PC via) iPod Touch/iPhone Icon_minitime1

VNC (Control PC via) iPod Touch/iPhone

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Galaxy GUI :: GUI Customization :: iPod and iPhone :: Tutorials -
RSS Feed  

Topic and post times are displayed in GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) for guests
Go to Top · Contact Us · Privacy Policy · Terms of Use

Creative Commons 3.0 License. Last update: February 29, 2012
All trademarks mentioned on this page are the property of their respective owners

Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com